In case you are looking forward to purchasing a metal roof for your home in Cokato or the surrounding area, it is essential to consider the pros and cons. Weigh your options to other alternative roofing materials such as wood, tile and asphalt shingles. Below is an in depth look at the pros and cons of metal roofing in Minnesota.
Metal Roofing Advantages in Minnesota
- Durability and Longevity – When metal roofing is properly set up, it is due to last the lifetime of the home owner. They are not subject to corrosion, decomposition, withstand high winds, and are little weight and thus making them impact resistant. Durability goes hand in hand with inspection once in a while.
- Performance – Due to the ability of metal roofing to reflect, heat energy will be reflected back to the atmosphere and therefore reducing the cost of cooling due to the excellent insulating capabilities.
- Cost Savings – Metal roofing may at times be more expensive than acquiring other alternative roofing materials, but in the long run, due to its durability and longevity, you will save yourself from re-installing your roof again soon. You will end up saving your time, labor and money in the future.
- Environment Friendliness -Unlike asbestos metal roofing does not emit harmful substances, making it suitable for the ecosystem. Asbestos roofing releases cancer causing emissions mainly rain water collected from the roof. Furthermore, metal roofs can be recycled and installed again; thus there is no dump after the end of its life.
- Vast variety – Metal roofing has a wide range to choose from; copper, zinc, tin aluminum and steel are among the various choices. Therefore, based on your budget, style, and use, you can get your best option.
Disadvantages of Metal Roofing
- Cost – Many people will find the cost of purchasing and installing a metal roof much higher than other roofing materials. The initial cost is a significant setback for aspiring home owners who will typically opt out of metal roofing even though in the long term it will be much cheaper.
- Expansion and Contraction -Naturally, metal contracts and expands due to heat and cold. As a result of high heat, metal roofs tend to be wavy and at times may loosen and vulnerable to wind.
- Noise – Metal roofs under a rainstorm have a drumming effect that is irritating. Insulating yourself against this drumming effect will be at an extra cost of applying plywood sheath under the roof.
- Denting – The thinness of metal makes it susceptible to dents. They are deformations on metal roofs caused by being hit. Sometimes the dents will escalate to holes in the roof causing leaks in rainy days.
- Care and Maintenance – Metal roofs are painted to prevent rusting. Sometimes the paint will wear, fade and peel off and thus periodic painting should follow up in such cases.
In the market today the variety to choose from roofing materials is so broad that people often make the wrong choices of roofing materials that best suit them. Based on the above pros and cons, a home owner will make the proper judgment on whether or not to install metal roofing in Cokato.